Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

K-1 Fiancee Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


What are the K-1 fiance visa processing times?

The K-1 fiance visa processing times vary with each individual’s circumstances. Under normal circumstances, it takes 3 to 5 months at the USCIS plus 2 to 3 months at the Consulates to process the visa.


How do I apply for K-1 visa?

To apply for a K-1 visa, a petition must be submitted by your U.S. citizen fiancé or fiance to the USCIS along with a:

  • Letter from the U.S. citizen stating your intention to marry each other
  • Proof that the U.S. citizen and you have met in person within two years of filing the petition (this may be waived for reasons like cultural issues or extreme hardship to the U.S. citizen)
  • Proof that you both are legally able to marry (age for getting married, no divorce pending cases etc)
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship of petitioner
  • Birth Certificate of fiancee
  • Divorce decree or Death Certificate of any previous spouse

Note: When the USCIS approves the petition, it sends the petition to the U.S. Consulate abroad, which will issue the K-1 visa. The consulate determines whether the foreign fiance would be eligible to receive an immigrant visa, before approving the K-1 visa

K-1 vs K-3 Visa Dilemma: When
and Where to Marry

Take the first step toward marrying your loved one.


As a U.S. citizen what additional information do I need to know about K-1 visa?

You must keep in mind that:

  • As a U.S. citizen, you are completely responsible for your K-1 fiance or fiancee financially
  • If for any reason you do not marry your K-1 fiance or fiancée and she departs the U.S. within the 90 days, she will not be precluded from coming to the U.S. in the future on another K-1 visa and you will not be precluded from again bringing her or another fiance to the U.S. on a K-1 visa
  • Your fiance or fiancee can obtain authorization to work under K-1 status
    Note: The USCIS is currently taking 90-120 days to process EAD applications and the authorized stay for a K-1 fiancee is only 90 days, therefore you may not receive the EAD in a timely manner, The EAD can only be valid for the period of authorized stay.
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Can I Get Married On a Tourist Visa to a US Citizen?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation