Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

V-3 Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


What is the background of the new nonimmigrant V-3 visa category?

The Legal Immigration Family Equity Act (LIFE Act) and its amendments established a new nonimmigrant V category within the immigration law that allows the dependent spouse or children of a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident to live and work in the U.S. in a nonimmigrant category. The dependents may remain in the U.S. while they wait until they are able to apply for Lawful Permanent Residence status (Adjusting Status), or for an immigrant visa, instead of having to wait outside the U.S. as the law previously required.


Where can I check the status of my V-3 visa application?

You may check visa status by using VisaPro's free visa status service.

Dependent Visa For US: E, H, I, J, L O and P Visas

Learn everything you need to know to secure a dependent visa.


Can I appeal the denial of V-3 visa?

There is no appeal from a decision on Form I-539 Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status denying V status.


What happens when a child on V-2 or V-3 visa turns 21 or gets married?

The V-2 or V-3 status is valid only up to the 21st birthday. If when initially admitted from abroad, or granted the change of status in the U.S., the child is at least 19 years old, the status will be given only until the 21st birthday, rather than for the standard two-year period.

If the child turns 21, then the immigrant petition converts to the 2B category. While the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative remains valid, the V status terminates and the child will either have to leave the U.S. or change to some other nonimmigrant status for which the child may qualify, depending upon the circumstances.

If the V-2 or V-3 child marries, then both the immigrant petition and the V status terminate as Lawful Permanent Residents cannot petition for their married children.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Family Immigration Lawyer Consultation: Get Immigration Advise Specific To Your Situation
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation