Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Naturalization - Frequently Asked Questions


If I cannot transmit Citizenship to my child, is there a way that my child can become a U.S. citizen?

Yes, when you cannot transmit Citizenship to your child born overseas because you do not have the required physical presence time in the U.S., you have two options:

  • You may apply for the expeditious Naturalization of your child, if a U.S. citizen grandparent has enough physical presence time in the U.S. This procedure must be done through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The process can take from six months to a year or more, and the child must go to the U.S. to be naturalized
  • The U.S. citizen parent may file for an immigrant visa for the child. Under the Child Citizenship Act, once the child enters the U.S. on an immigrant visa, the child automatically becomes a U.S. citizen

Can my spouse obtain a U.S. passport or Citizenship through marriage?

A U.S. citizen cannot transmit Citizenship to a spouse. Your spouse would be required to apply for an immigrant visa and reside in the U.S. as a legal permanent resident. An application for Naturalization is made to the Department of Homeland Security on fulfilling a residency requirement. Once naturalized, your spouse would be eligible to apply for a U.S. passport.

8 Ways To Become A US Citizen

Take the first step towards becoming a U.S citizen.


Can I become a U.S. citizen again after losing my U.S. Citizenship once?

Probably, some Supreme Court decisions have opened the way for review of many loss of Citizenship cases. Although each case is different, many do not stand up to the revised level of scrutiny and can be vacated with the consequent restoration of Citizenship.

Note: You can also go through the Naturalization process to regain U.S. Citizenship, provided you have a way to acquire permanent residence.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Naturalization: The Simple Process For Becoming a US Citizen
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation