Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Frequently Asked Questions

Home  >  Immigration Law FAQ  >  Citizenship  >  Citizenship

Your Immigration Questions Answered by VisaPro.

Here, you will find detailed answers to many of most common immigration questions.

23.What should I do if there is no birth record or file for me and I need to apply for U.S. Citizenship?
  If you were born in the U.S. and there is no birth record on file, you will need the following documents to substantiate your Citizenship:
      A letter from the Vital Statistics office of the state of your birth with your name and what years were searched for your birth record
      Early public records to prove your birth in the U.S.
  If you were born outside the U.S. and your U.S. parent(s) did not register your birth at the U.S. embassy or consulate, you may apply for a passport. You will need:
      Your foreign birth certificate that includes your parents' names
      Evidence of your parent(s) U.S. Citizenship
      Your parents' marriage certificate

24. How do I get a birth certificate proving my US Citizenship if I was born abroad?
 If one or both of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born abroad, your parent(s) should have registered your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and, received a Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad. This form is acceptable legal proof of birth and U.S. Citizenship.

25. Can I claim U.S. Citizenship if I was born while my parents were in the U.S. on student status?
 Yes, almost anybody born in the U.S. is a U.S. citizen regardless of the nationality or status of the parents. The only exception is for children of foreign diplomats who have full diplomatic immunity. Anyone else may apply for an American passport by presenting an original birth certificate showing birth in the U.S. and adequate identity documents.

Previous | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next

Need More HELP!

Get Personalized Legal Advice from a VisaPro Attorney
Browse Tips and Procedures about Specific Visas
Discover More about VisaPro Legal Services

Naturalization Process - Apply Online!
U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!

More About Citizenship
Benefits of Citizenship
Requirements for Citizenship
Applying for Citizenship

How can we help you?
How do I fill Form I-129?
When do I start Green Card?

Discuss US Immigration
Receive latest immigration updates and free legal tips by e-mail. Sign up now!
Legal terms explained in plain English!

On this topic Citizenship

N-25, N-426, N-643,
N-300, N-470, N-643 Supplement A,
N-336, N-565, N-644,
N-400, N-600, N-648
U.S. Citizenship


Naturalization Process - Apply Online!
Our Citizenship application service includes:
Complete review of all your personal circumstances.
Identification of important legal issues that may affect your Citizenship application.
Accurate preparation of your Citizenship application.
Submission of your Citizenship application to the proper government agencies.
Online access to your case status.
Unlimited personal communication with your own VisaPro immigration attorney.

Low Flat Fee: $790
Start Now

U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!
1. Online Consultation
Get a detailed, written opinion online in less than 3 business days from a licensed immigration attorney.
Only $79!
Consult Now

2. Telephone Consultation
Get a one half-hour telephone consultation with a licensed immigration attorney.
Only $75!
Consult Now