Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Naturalization - Frequently Asked Questions


If I am a U.S. citizen, but my child does not meet the requirements listed above, can I still apply for Citizenship for my child?

  • A child who is regularly residing in the U.S. can become a U.S. citizen only by meeting the requirements listed in Question 20 above
  • If a child regularly resides in the U.S. and is not a legal permanent resident, the child cannot acquire Citizenship automatically until the child is granted legal permanent residence
  • If a child who has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence fails to qualify for Citizenship under the provisions of law, the child may apply for Naturalization by filing Form N-400 after reaching 18 years of age, provided that the child has the required five years of legal permanent residence

I lost my Naturalization Certificate and I need to travel outside the U.S. How can I obtain proof of my Citizenship so that I can apply for a U.S. passport with the Department of State?

You should file Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization Citizenship Document, with your local office to replace the lost certificate. You may also contact the Department of State for information on how to obtain a passport.


What documents do I need to bring to my U.S. Citizenship interview?

The documents that you should bring to your interview are:

  • Green Card
  • Passport and other travel documents
  • Marriage certificate, or divorce certificate if you are using the three year rule for marriage to U.S. citizen. (If your spouse is deceased at the time of the interview, you should bring a copy of the death certificate
  • Income tax returns
  • Child support receipts
  • Military and Selective Service records
  • Criminal records. (If you have a criminal record, you may bring a lawyer with you to your interview)
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Naturalization: The Simple Process For Becoming a US Citizen
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation