Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Temporary Protected Status - Frequently Asked Questions


How does the Secretary of Homeland Security decide on the duration of my Temporary Protected Status?

Before the end of the TPS designation period, the Secretary of Homeland Security will review the conditions in the designated state and determine whether the conditions that led to the TPS designation continue to be met. Unless a determination is made that those conditions are no longer met, the TPS designation will be extended for six, twelve or eighteen months. If the conditions that led to the TPS designation are no longer met, the Secretary of Homeland Security will terminate the TPS designation. Designations, extensions, terminations and other information regarding TPS are published in the Federal Register.


Can I obtain work permit on Temporary Protected Status?

Yes, if your TPS application is approved, you will receive work authorization, if requested. At the same time you apply for Temporary Protected Status, you must submit Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and the appropriate fee to apply for a work permit.

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


Can I travel outside the U.S. on Temporary Protected Status?

No, you must remain continuously physically present in the United States on TPS. The grant of TPS status does not mean that you have permission to travel abroad, though permission to travel may be granted by the district director according to the Service's advance parole provisions. Failure to obtain Advance Parole prior to traveling abroad may result in the withdrawal of your TPS and/or the institution or re-calendaring of removal proceedings.


Does Temporary Protected Status lead to permanent resident status?

No, TPS does not lead to permanent resident status. When the Secretary of Homeland Security terminates your TPS designation, you will return to the same immigration status you had before TPS unless that status has expired or has been terminated, or to any other status you may have been granted while in TPS.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Immigration Lawyer Consultation: Get the Immigration Advice You Need
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation