Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Green Card - Registry - Frequently Asked Questions


Do I need a work permit after I receive permanent resident status?

No, you do not need to apply for a work permit once you are accorded permanent resident status. As a lawful permanent resident, you should receive a permanent resident card that will provide evidence that you have a right to live and work in the U.S. permanently.


Can I travel outside the U.S. while I am waiting for my application under the Registry provision to be processed?

Yes, if you obtain an Advance Parole from the USCIS following approval of Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, you may travel outside of the U.S. and return without jeopardizing your Registry application. However, if you have accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence in the U.S. and then travel outside the U.S., you will be inadmissible for a period of three to ten years.

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


Can I travel outside the U.S. if I have already registered for lawful permanent resident status?

Yes, if you have been granted lawful permanent resident status under Registry, you may travel overseas and be readmitted as a returning permanent resident without having to apply for admission for travels that are six months or shorter. All lawful permanent residents who travel outside of the U.S. for periods longer than six months must reapply for admission at the port of entry.


How can I check the status of my Registry application?

You may check status by using VisaPro's free visa status service.


Can I appeal a denial of my Registry application?

There is no appeal from the decision of the District Director but your application may be renewed in front of an Immigration Judge.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
How Do I Get a US Work Visa?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation