Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Refugee- Frequently Asked Questions


Can I travel outside the U.S. after applying for Refugee status?

Yes, however, you must first obtain permission to return. If you choose to travel, you should first apply for a Refugee Travel Document. This document will allow you to travel abroad and return to the U.S.


Can I become a Legal Permanent Resident of the U.S. after being admitted to the U.S. as a Refugee?

Yes, you will be able to apply for permanent resident status one year after you are admitted to the U.S. as a refugee.

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


Will I get a work permit if I have applied for Refugee status in USA?

Yes, you are authorized to work incident to your status as a refugee. To receive
xForm I-766
, Employment Authorization Document from the USCIS, you must apply on Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.


Can I work while waiting for my Employment Authorization Document?

Yes, while you are waiting for your USCIS issued Employment Authorization Document or a social security account number card, which can also be used to show your work authorization, you can present USCIS Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Document to your employer. When you are admitted to the U.S., the USCIS will issue you the departure portion of Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Document that contains a refugee admission stamp. This unexpired refugee admission stamp will show your employer that you are authorized to work.

However, within 90 days of your hire you will have to present to your employer either an unexpired Form I-766, Employment Authorization Document, or an unrestricted social security account number card together with an identity document that is listed on the back of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification Form, to continue your employment

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Immigration Lawyer Consultation: Get the Immigration Advice You Need
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation