Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Green Card - Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens - Frequently Asked Questions


I am an adoptive parent. How do I petition to bring my son or daughter to the U.S.?

If you are a U.S. citizen and the adoptive parent of a child or son or daughter who lived with you in your legal custody for two years while a child, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

  • Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • A copy of your birth certificate or U.S. passport
  • If you were not born in the U.S., a copy of either
  • Your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship, or
  • Your U.S. passport
  • A copy of the child’s birth certificate showing the child’s name
  • A certified copy of the adoption decree (the adoption must have taken place before the child reached the age of 16, with only one exception: if you adopted the child’s sibling who had not yet reached age 16, the older sibling must have been adopted before reaching the age of 18)
  • The legal custody decree if you obtained custody of the child before adoption
  • A statement showing the dates and places your child has lived with you, and proof that your child has lived with you and has been in your legal custody for at least two years

Note: If anyone’s name has been legally changed (if it differs from the name on his or her birth certificate), evidence of the name change must be submitted.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Family Based Immigrant Visa: Who Qualifies?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation