Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Green Card - Family Fourth Preference - Frequently Asked Questions


How do I petition for my stepbrother or stepsister, we now share a common parent?

If you are a U.S. citizen seeking permanent resident status for your stepbrother or stepsister, you must file the following items with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

  • Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • Your birth certificate showing your name and your common parent’s name (if your father married your stepsibling’s mother, your father’s name must be visible on the birth certificate; if your mother married your stepsibling’s father, your mother’s name must be visible on the birth certificate)
  • If you were not born in the U.S., a copy of
  • Your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or
  • Your U.S. passport
  • A copy of your stepbrother’s or stepsister’s birth certificate showing his or her name and your common parent’s name
  • If your stepsibling is or has been married, you must provide evidence of the marriage(s) in order to prove that your stepsibling was once a “child” of the stepparent
  • A copy of the civil marriage certificate of your natural mother to your natural father and your stepsibling’s natural mother to his or her natural father
  • Proof that any previous marriages entered into by your and your stepsibling’s father and mother ended legally (this could include copies of divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees)
  • A copy of the civil marriage certificate between a) your father and your stepmother or b) your mother and your stepfather, whichever is applicable

Note: If anyone’s name has been legally changed (if it differs from the name on his or her birth certificate), evidence of the name change must be submitted.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Family Based Immigrant Visa: Who Qualifies?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation