Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Marriage-US-Citizen - Frequently Asked Questions


Do I get my Green Card after my interview for permanent residence based on marriage to a U.S. citizen?

Yes, as long as all the supporting documents are submitted and the background checks are completed, your passport may be stamped as proof of permanent residency for travel, work, etc. The actual laminated permanent resident card
(Green Card) will be issued separately later, however, your permanent resident status starts as of the original approval date.


Are marriage to U.S. citizen based Green Cards only temporary?

Yes, marriage to U.S. citizen based Green Cards are temporary in nature. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants Conditional Permanent Residency for two years, after which you need to file for Removal of Conditions to get a permanent Green Card. The USCIS does a second check on the marriage after two years because marriage is a relatively easy route to get permanent residency in the U.S.

Note: If you have already been married for two years when you apply for a marriage to U.S. citizen based Green Card the USCIS will grant you a permanent Green Card.

Top 11 Ways To Get A Green Card

Take the first step towards becoming a U.S. Permanent Resident!


Who is eligible to apply for Removal of Conditions on permanent residence?

You may apply to remove your conditions on permanent residence if you:

  • Are still married to the same U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident after two years (your children may be included in your application if they got their conditional resident status at the same time that you did or within 90 days)
  • Are a child and cannot be included in the application of your parents for a valid reason
  • Are a widow or widower of a marriage that was entered into in good faith
  • Entered into a marriage in good faith, but the marriage was ended through divorce or annulment
  • Entered into a marriage in good faith, but either you or your child were battered or subjected to extreme hardship by your U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident spouse
  • Would be subject to extreme hardship on the termination of your conditional resident status
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Can I Get Married On a Tourist Visa to a US Citizen?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation