Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

L-2 Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


How long is the employment authorization valid on L-2 status?

Your employment authorization document is valid for two years and may be renewed as long as you continue to maintain proper L-2 status.


Can I be employed in any kind of job on L-2 visa?

Yes, there is no limit on the nature of the authorized employment. The USCIS refers to this as 'open market' employment authorization.


10. Will my time in the U.S. as L-2 spouse count against the six years I'm allowed in H-1B temporary professional working status?

No, your time in the U.S. on L-2 visa will not count against the six years the law allows you to work in the U.S. on H-1B visa. The USCIS approves H-1B status for professional workers in up to three year intervals.

Dependent Visa For US: E, H, I, J, L O and P Visas

Learn everything you need to know to secure a dependent visa.


Can I adjust status to legal permanent resident on L-2 visa?

Yes, you may apply for Adjustment of Status. Based on the L-1 principals adjustment of status application.You need to file Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with the USCIS.


Do I need to apply for Advance Parole when I have to travel abroad on L-2 visa?

No, you do not need to apply for Advance Parole if you are a valid L-2 visa holder and wish to travel internationally. This is true as long as you maintain nonimmigrant status.


Can I change from H-4 to L-2 status so that I can get work authorization?

Yes, if your spouse qualifies for L-1 status, you may apply for a change of status from H-4 to L-2 status and your spouse from H-IB to L-1 status. To obtain work authorization, you should submit Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, together with your Form I-539, Application for Change or Extension of Status.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
How Do I Get a US Work Visa?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation