Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

K-2 Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


How long can children of K1 stay on K-2 visa?

Children of K-1 may stay in the U.S. on K-2 visa for a maximum period of 90 days from the date of entry. If your K-1 parent visa holder and U.S. citizen do not marry within 90 days, you must depart the U.S. within 30 days.


Can I extend my stay on K-2 status?

No, you may not apply for extension of stay on K-2 visa. If the marriage of your K-1 parent and the U.S. citizen does not take place within 90 days of admission you are required to leave the U.S.


Can I study on K-2 visa?

Yes, you may study in the U.S. on K-2 visa.

Dependent Visa For US: E, H, I, J, L O and P Visas

Learn everything you need to know to secure a dependent visa.


Can I work on K-2 visa?

Yes, the USCIS may grant you permission to take up employment in the U.S. on
K-2 visa.

To obtain Employment Authorization you will need to file Form I-765, application for employment authorization, with the USCIS Service Center which covers your place of residence in the U.S after your arrival there.

Note: The EAD can only be issued for the validity of the K-2 visa, 90 days. It is currently taking USCIS 90 days or longer to process the I-765


What are the documents required for K-2 visa?

The documents required for K-2 visa are:

  • Valid passport
  • Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, completed online, with recent color photograph with a white background. (photo must be electronically uploaded to DS-160)
  • Copy of your official birth certificate issued by the Registrar of Births
  • Completed Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, and supporting documents from your sponsor
  • Complete medical examination report from one of the Embassy's panel physicians
  • Bank draft for visa fee
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Can I Get Married On a Tourist Visa to a US Citizen?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation