Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Immigration Documentation - Frequently Asked Questions


How do I request a correction in my I-94, Arrival-Departure Document?

To correct an I-94, Arrival-Departure Document (obtained at the port of entry during admission), file Form I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document. If the I-94 error was the fault of the border inspector or USCIS, you do not have to pay the fee. If the error was your fault, you do need to pay the fee.


How do I get my original documents back from the USCIS?

Original documents submitted when not required will remain a part of the record. If you decided at a later time that you want your original documents back, please file Form G-884, Request for Return of Original Documents, with the office where you submitted the original documents.

H1B Visa 2016 Timeline Template

A Step-by-Step Advice For Successful H1B Filing

When should I submit original supporting documents to the USCIS?

If a supporting document is prepared by the issuing authority solely for the purpose of presentation to USCIS, then you must submit the original document with the application or petition. Examples of supporting documents which must be presented in the original are:

  • Form I-20 issued by a Designated School Official to a foreign student
  • Form DS-2019 issued by a Program Officer to an Exchange Visitor
  • Labor Certification issued by the Department of Labor
  • Labor Condition Agreement with the Department of Labor endorsement
  • Form I-693 Medical Examination issued by a authorized civil surgeon
  • Vaccination Sign-off Supplement to Medical Examination Certificate
  • Attestations, formal consultations and advisory opinions (e.g., a letter from a recognized expert attesting to someone‚Äôs extraordinary professional skills)
  • Affidavits prepared in place of unavailable documents (e.g., an affidavit in place of a birth certificate where the official records were destroyed by fire)
  • Translations of documents (even when the rules allow submission of a photocopy of the document itself.)

Note: If you have already submitted the original document to the USCIS in connection with another matter, you may submit a photocopy along with an explanation of when and why the original was previously sent to the USCIS.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation