Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Frequently Asked Questions

Home  >  Immigration Law FAQ  >  Green Cards  >  I-130

Your Immigration Questions Answered by VisaPro.

Here, you will find detailed answers to many of most common immigration questions.

4.What is the process for filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for a family member?
  U.S. citizens resident in the U.S. must file immigrant visa petitions in the U.S. with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office having jurisdiction over their place of residence. All immigrant visa petitions for parents, brothers and sisters, and children over 21 years of age must be filed in the U.S. with the USCIS. U.S. citizens who are resident overseas may file petition at the Embassy for their spouse and unmarried children (below the age of 21) including stepchildren. you will need to check with the Embassy or consulate where you reside to determine if they accept I-130.

5. Must the beneficiary of the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, be present with the petitioner at the time of filing the immigrant visa petition?
  No, the petitioner and beneficiary do not have to be at the same location at the time of filing. If you are filing an I-130 at the Embassy or Conuslate only the petitioner needs to come to the embassy to file the petition.

6. Why is Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, required in support of the immigration Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative?
 An affidavit of support is a guarantee to the U.S. government that a Green Card applicant will not become a public charge. The affidavit could be offered by the Green Card sponsor or someone who could provide financial assistance to the applicant in the event that such help would be necessary.

7. As a petitioner, do I need to submit Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, in support of my Form I-130 if I have not worked in the past three years?
 All petitioners, regardless of whether or not they have been working or living in the U.S. since the past three years must submit a notarized Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, for the beneficiaries of your petitions.

Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next

Need More HELP!

Get Personalized Legal Advice from a VisaPro Attorney
Browse Tips and Procedures about Specific Visas
Discover More about VisaPro Legal Services

I-130 Petition for Alien Relative - Apply Online!
U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!

More About I-130
Benefits of I-130
Requirements for I-130
Applying for I-130
Duration of Stay

How can we help you?
How do I fill Form I-129?
When do I start Green Card?

Discuss US Immigration
Receive latest immigration updates and free legal tips by e-mail. Sign up now!
Legal terms explained in plain English!

On this topic I-130

I-131, I-693, I-864,
I-485, I-765, I-864A
Adjustment of Status
Consular Processing-Immigrant
Green Card
Marriage to U.S. Citizen


I-130 Petition for Alien Relative - Apply Online!
Our I-130 application service includes:
Complete review of all your personal circumstances.
Identification of important legal issues that may affect your I-130 application.
Accurate preparation of your I-130 application.
Submission of your I-130 application to the proper government agencies.
Online access to your case status.
Unlimited personal communication with your own VisaPro immigration attorney.

Low Flat Fee: Call VisaPro
Start Now

U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!
1. Online Consultation
Get a detailed, written opinion online in less than 3 business days from a licensed immigration attorney.
Only $79!
Consult Now

2. Telephone Consultation
Get a one half-hour telephone consultation with a licensed immigration attorney.
Only $75!
Consult Now