Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Replace I-94 or I-95 Form - Frequently Asked Questions


What is an Arrival-Departure Document and why do I need one?

The Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94) or the Crewman Landing Permit (Form I-95) shows the date you arrived in the U.S. and the ‘Admitted Until’ date, the date when your authorized period of stay expires. You will receive a blank I-94 or I-95 Form from a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer upon arrival in the U.S. This will be at a U.S. port-of-entry at a land border, airport or seaport.

You will be asked to complete the form prior to inspection. Review the form for accuracy and legibility before presenting it to the border inspector.

During the inspection, the CBP Officer may ask you questions about the purpose of your trip, how long you will be in the U.S., and your residence abroad. Upon completion of the inspection, the CBP Officer will affix the I-94 or I-95 Form to your passport. If you are not required to present a passport, the form will be handed to you.

Note: Prior to departing the area, review the class of admission and period of admission recorded on the admission stamp. The information transcribed on the I-94 Form at the port-of-entry is the basis for all further immigration-related activity in which you may engage while in the U.S. Benefit agencies, specifically the Social Security Administration, make decisions based on the hand-written endorsement recorded on the Form I-94.

H1B Visa 2016 Timeline Template

A Step-by-Step Advice For Successful H1B Filing

What should I do with the I-94, Arrival-Departure Document before leaving the U.S.?

When you leave the U.S., you should give the I-94 or I-95 Form to your airline or ship representative. If you are departing over a land border, give it to a Canadian or Mexican immigration inspector. The I-94 or I-95 Form that has been approved by a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer proves that you arrived in the country legally and that you have not stayed beyond the period of your authorized stay.

Be sure to turn in the I-94 or I-95 Form to the proper authorities on departure. This returned portion of the form proves you did not violate U.S. laws by staying in the country too long. It is proof that you obeyed U.S. immigration laws, which is essential if you want to return to the U.S. at a future date as an immigrant or nonimmigrant.

Note: Canadians who travel to the U.S. as a tourist or on business generally do not need the I-94 Form. Also, certain Mexicans who have a nonresident alien Mexican Border Crossing Card, commonly known as a laser visa or a multiple entry non-immigrant visa, may not require the I-94 Form.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Immigration Lawyer Consultation: Get the Immigration Advice You Need
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation