Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

H2B Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


Can I extend my stay on H-2B visa?

Yes, you may apply for Extension of Stay on H-2B visa. The employer may apply for re-certification for an additional two years with one year extensions, but on each new application, the employer must justify the reason for the H-2B extension request. You may also extend by changing to a new employer who had completed the temporary labor certification.


Can I change status on H-2B?

Yes, you may apply for change of status on H-2B visa. If you are changing the job or employer (like H-2B to H-2A), have your new employer file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker at the USCIS Regional Service Center with jurisdiction over your residence.

Note: H-2B certification is issued to the employer, not the worker, is not transferable from one employer to another or from one worker to another. Certification is issued only for a specific job opportunity, for a specific number of workers, and for a specific employment period.

Working In The U.S. - Your Options

Learn everything you need to know about working in the U.S.


Can I study on H-2B visa?

Yes, you may study on H-2B visa. However, you may not join a full length program like an F-1. You may take up a few credits at a university when they do not harm the primary interest of your H-2B visa.


Can I bring my dependents on H-2B visa?

Yes, you may bring your dependents while on H-2B visa. Your spouse and unmarried children are entitled to an H-4 visa and they may stay as long as you have a valid H-2B status.


Can my dependents work on H-4 visa?

No, they may not work on H-4 dependent visa. They have to apply for appropriate Work Visa.


Can my dependents study on H-4 visa?

Yes, they may study on H-4 visa. They do not have to apply for separate F-1 student visa. They may study on the same dependent H-4 visa.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
How Do I Get a US Work Visa?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation