Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

H2B Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


What are the requirements for H-2B visa holder?

To qualify for H-2B visa, you must:

  • Have a valid job offer from a U.S. employer to perform temporary or seasonal nonagricultural work
  • Show proof of an intent to return to your home country on expiration of the visa

Note: H-2B certification is issued to the employer, not the worker, is not transferable from one employer to another or from one worker to another. Certification is issued only for a specific job opportunity, for a specific number of workers, and for a specific employment period.


How long can I stay in the U.S. on H2B visa?

The H-2B Labor Certification application is valid for the period of employment indicated on the Form ETA-750A. However, the validity period may not exceed one year. You may stay for two more years with two one year increments. With initial one year and two one year extensions you can stay for three years on this visa.

Working In The U.S. - Your Options

Learn everything you need to know about working in the U.S.


Can I stay longer than a year on H-2B visa?

The employer's need may generally be only for one year. However, the need, under the 'extraordinary circumstances' provision, may ultimately be longer than one year if the extended need could not be anticipated at the time of application.

Note: An example might be the case of a hurricane that destroyed a large bridge. It will take 11 months to replace the bridge. After the application is approved for this 'one time' occurrence, the employer demonstrates that the work cannot be completed in 11 months based on circumstances which did not exist at the time the employer first petitioned for the foreign national. The work will now take 14 months. The employer would file another application for the three additional months.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
How Do I Get a US Work Visa?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation