Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

H-1C Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


I am a nursing student at a U.S. university how can I make sure I'm authorized to work, once I graduate?

Sometime during your last year in school, or no later than your last semester, you should contact your International Affairs office at the university and have them assist you in obtaining an Employment Authorization Document based on Optional Practical Training. This document, once issued, will authorize you to work in your field of training for 12 months after graduation.


Can the Optional Practical Training EAD be renewed?

No, the OPT-EAD is not renewable. There will only be one document issued, valid for 12 months.

Working In The U.S. - Your Options

Learn everything you need to know about working in the U.S.


What is CGFNS?

The Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) is a non-profit, internationally recognized leader in the education, registration and licensure of healthcare professionals worldwide. CGFNS protects the public in relation to evolving healthcare policies and standards of professional practice for migrating healthcare professionals.


As a foreign-educated nurse, how can CGFNS help me to practice in the U.S.?

CGFNS offers a Certification Program and Qualifying Exam, which most U.S. State Boards of Nursing require in order to be eligible to apply for licensure within that state.


What is the CGFNS Certification Program?

The CGFNS Certification Program is a three-part program designed to predict an applicant's likelihood of passing the NCLEX-RNĀ® examination and becoming licensed as a registered nurse in the U.S. The three parts of the program include:

  • A credentials review
  • A Qualifying Exam of nursing knowledge and
  • An English language proficiency examination

Applicants must successfully complete all three parts of the Certification Program in order to earn the CGFNS Certificate. For more details contact the CGFNS Customer Service Department or visit the CGFNS web site at

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
How Do I Get a US Work Visa?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation