Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

H-1C Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


Can you provide some information on adjudication of H-1B petitions filed on behalf of the registered nurses?

The purpose of the memorandum is to provide field offices with guidance on adjudication of H-1B petitions when the beneficiary is a registered nurse (RN). This memorandum clarifies that while typical RNs generally do not meet the requirements for H-1B classification, foreign nationals in certain specialized RN occupations are more likely than typical RNs to be eligible for H-1B status.

Working In The U.S. - Your Options

Learn everything you need to know about working in the U.S.


What are the responsibilities of employers of H-1C registered nurses?

  • Return Costs of Transportation: Unlike H-1B status, the facility employing the foreign registered nurse is not required to pay the costs of return transportation if it terminates the H-1C employment.
  • Roving Employment: H-1C status cannot be used to authorize foreign nurses to provide services to worksites other than those controlled by the facility, and cannot work at more than one worksite even if the worksites are all controlled by the facility.
  • Administrative Duties of Employers of H-1C Employees: Three administrative obligations arise once a facility employs H-1C registered nurse. The facility must provide a copy of each H-1C petition and USCIS approval of the same to the Department of Labor within five days of the facility's receipt of the USCIS' approval. Usually, the facility's immigration attorney will fulfill this obligation on the facility's behalf. The facility must keep certain documents available for public inspection:
  • The Attestation
  • The facility's pay schedule for nurses
  • Evidence of its efforts to retain U.S. registered nurses
  • Notices of any strikes or labor disputes involving registered nurses at the facility, and copies of notices of the facility's intent to petition for H-1C nurses

Note: Usually, the facility's immigration attorney will prepare the initial file for the facility. Thereafter, the facility must file the requisite documents approximately once a year. The facility must notify the Immigration and Naturalization Service if the H-1C registered nurse ceases to be licensed as a registered nurse in the state of intended employment.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
How Do I Get a US Work Visa?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation