Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

H1B Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


What is the difference between H-1B status and H-1B visa?

An H-1B visa is a nonimmigrant visa issued by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. H-1B status is a nonimmigrant status issued by the USCIS to foreign nationals already residing in the U.S. or upon entry with an H-1B visa. Legal status allows you to stay legally within the U.S. while a visa allows you to seek entry into the U.S. legally.


I have been fired recently while on H-1B status. Can I remain legally in the U.S. by changing status to another nonimmigrant visa category?

Yes, you may apply for Change of Status to another nonimmigrant visa category for which you qualify. USCIS officers have been allowed to exercise their discretion to grant you another nonimmigrant status, if you apply for change of status shortly after your H-1B status is terminated, usally within 10 days after you are fired.

Note: If you are not planning to depart the U.S. the only way to maintain legal status is to file a new petition under a new employer or change status from H-1B to other nonimmigrant status, such as B-1 or B-2.

Working In The U.S. - Your Options

Learn everything you need to know about working in the U.S.


What is the new 'displacement' or 'no lay-off' attestation rule?

There are two new 'displacement' attestations that apply to H-1B dependent employers:

  • The first requires the employer to attest that he did not displace and will not displace a U.S. worker employed by the employer within the period beginning 90 days before and ending 90 days after the filing of the H-1B petition based on the Labor Condition Application
  • The second requires the employer to attest that he will not place the H-1B worker with another employer where:
  • The H-1B worker performs duties in whole or in part at one or more worksites owned, operated and controlled by the other employer
  • There are employment relationships with the other employer, unless the petitioning employer has inquired of the other employer and has no knowledge that the other employer has displaced or intends to displace another U.S. worker
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
H1B Visas - 12 Common Myths and Realities
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation