Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

K-1 Fiancee Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


Can I transfer my citizenship to my spouse?

No, as a U.S. citizen you may not transfer your citizenship to your spouse. If your spouse wishes to relocate with you to the U.S., your spouse will require an immigrant visa. A Lawful Permanent Resident who is married to a U.S. citizen may apply to become a naturalized U.S. citizen after three years as permenant resident in the U.S.


My American citizen fiance is sponsoring me for immigration, does it matter where we get married?

If you wish to marry in the U.S. and take up indefinite residence after marriage, you require a fiancee visa. If you wish to marry outside the U.S. and travel to the U.S. to take up residence, you will require an immigrant visa.

K-1 vs K-3 Visa Dilemma: When
and Where to Marry

Take the first step toward marrying your loved one.


Which is quicker to process, an immigrant or a fiancee visa?

The time taken for the K1 fiance visa process varies with each individual case. However, in general, a fiance visa application may be slightly quicker than an application for an immigrant visa, as immigrant visa petitions are taking longer to be processed and approved by the USCIS in the U.S. If the time factor is of importance, you should contact the USCIS office where you will file the petition to ascertain processing times before deciding on applying for a fiance or immigrant visa.


What is the process to have the conditional resident status for my spouse removed?

You are required to file a petition with the USCIS to have the conditional resident status removed. The petition must be filed 90 days before the second anniversary of your spouse being admitted into the U.S on an immigrant visa, or adjusting status on marriage, if your spouse entered on a fiance visa.


I will not marry within 90 days of my fiance's arrival in the U.S. Can we still apply for a fiance visa?

No, if the marriage will not take place within 90 days your fiance's arrival in the U.S., it will not be possible to process an application for a fiance visa. If your intent is to eventually marry in the U.S. Visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program or a nonimmigrant visitor or work visa is not appropriate.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Can I Get Married On a Tourist Visa to a US Citizen?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation