Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Green Card through Family Members - Frequently Asked Questions


How do I bring my sibling to live in the U.S. on a family based Green Card?

There is a three-step process for your brother or sister to become a legal immigrant in the U.S.:

  • The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must approve an immigrant visa petition that you file for your brother or sister
  • The State Department visa bulletin must show that a sibling immigrant visa is available to your sibling, based on the date that you filed the immigrant visa application
  • If your brother or sister is:
  • Outside the U.S. when an immigrant visa number becomes available, your brother or sister will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa
  • Legally inside the U.S. when an immigrant visa number becomes available, he or she may apply toAdjust Status to that of a lawful permanent resident using the Form I-485,Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

H1B Visa 2016 Timeline Template

A Step-by-Step Advice For Successful H1B Filing

How can I check the status of my visa petition?

You may check visa status by using VisaPro's free visa status service.


How do I appeal the denial of my petition or application for a family based Green Card?

  • You should review the Form I-292, Notice of Denial that accompanied the adverse decision to determine whether you may appeal the denial of your Green Card family application. The decision will inform you of the proper appellate jurisdiction and provide you with the correct form
  • If you desire to appeal the:
  • Denial of a petition or application, the Notice of Appeal must be filed within 30 days of the date of the decision. If you receive the decision by mail, you must file the appeal within 33 days of the date of the decision
  • Revocation of an approved immigrant petition, you must file the appeal within 15 days of the date of the decision, or within 18 days of the date of the decision if the decision is received by mail
  • If the Administrative Appeals Office has jurisdiction over the decision, the notice of appeal must be filed on Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal to the Administrative Appeal Office. The appeal must be filed with the office that made the original decision. A brief (explanation) may be filed in support of your appeal. The fee must be included.
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
EB5 Investor Visa: Buy A Green Card
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation