Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Green Card through Family Members - Frequently Asked Questions


As a lawful permanent resident, who can I sponsor for a family based Green Card?

As a lawful permanent resident, you may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S.:

  • Husband or wife
  • Unmarried son or daughter of any age

Note: You must be able to provide proof of the relationships.


Who is eligible for a family based Green Card?

To be eligible for lawful permanent residence based on a family relationship you must have a relative who:

  • Is a citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
  • Can provide documentation proving their status
  • Is willing to sponsor you for lawful permanent residence by filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • Can prove that they can support you by providing documentation that their income is 125 per cent above the mandated poverty line for their family, including you and all other sponsored family members

H1B Visa 2016 Timeline Template

A Step-by-Step Advice For Successful H1B Filing

How can I obtain a family based Green Card?

If you want to become a lawful permanent resident based on the fact that you have a relative who is a U.S. citizen or a relative who is a lawful permanent resident, you must go through the following multi-step process:

  • United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must approve Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for you. This petition must be filed by your relative (sponsor) and must be accompanied by proof of your relationship to the requesting relative
  • The Department of State must determine if an immigrant visa number is immediately available to you, the foreign national, even if you are already in the U.S. When an immigrant visa number becomes immediately available to you, it means that you can apply to have one of the immigrant visa numbers assigned to you
  • If you are:
  • In the U.S., you may apply to Adjust your Status to that of a lawful permanent resident after a visa number becomes available for you
  • Outside the U.S. when an immigrant visa number becomes available for you, you must go to the U.S. consulate having jurisdiction over the area in which you reside to complete your processing
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
EB5 Investor Visa: Buy A Green Card
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation