Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Extension of Stay - Frequently Asked Questions


How do my dependants apply for Extension of Stay?

If your employer files Form I-129, Petition for Alien Worker, for you, then your dependants must file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, and submit any required supporting documents to extend their stay.

If you are filing Form I-539 for your own extension, you may include your dependants (spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21) in your application if you are all in the same nonimmigrant category. You may also include your spouse or children in your application if they were given derivative nonimmigrant status.


Who is eligible for Extension of Stay on J-1 visa?

You are eligible to extend your stay on J-1 visa if you:

  • Are studying full-time at the school mentioned on your Form DS-2019 and making satisfactory academic progress and have adequate funding
  • Have completed your program of study and wish to participate in an Academic Training Program
  • Are participating in an authorized Academic Training program and, within the established time limits, need an extension to finish the program

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


How do I apply for Extension of Stay on J-1 visa?

To extend your stay in the U.S. on J-1 visa, you must first obtain a new Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status, from your J-1 Responsible Officer, who will need proof of your eligibility before issuing the Form.


How do my dependants on J-2 status apply for Extension of Stay?

The J-2 status of your dependants is automatically extended for any dependents included in your extension request based on your Extension of Stay application. However, extension of Work Authorization for J-2 dependents must be applied for directly to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
I-94 or Visa: How Long Can I Stay in the U.S.?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation