Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Extension of Stay - Frequently Asked Questions


What is Extension of Stay?

Providing permission to foreign nationals holding a nonimmigrant visa in the U.S. to extend their stay in the U.S. is called Extension of Stay.


Why do I need to extend my nonimmigrant status?

As a nonimmigrant you temporarily enter into the U.S. for a specific purpose such as business, study, or pleasure. When you enter the country as a nonimmigrant, a U.S. immigration inspector examines your passport and visa and gives you the Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Document). This document tells you (in the lower right-hand corner) when you must leave the U.S. In order to extend your stay in the U.S., you must ask for permission from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before your authorized stay expires.

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


Who is eligible for Extension of Stay?

You may be eligible to extend your stay in the U.S. if:

  • You have lawfully entered into the U.S. with a nonimmigrant visa
  • Your nonimmigrant visa status remains valid
  • You have not committed any crime that would make you ineligible for an extension

Note: You must submit your Extension of Stay application BEFORE your current authorized stay expires. You must also keep your passport valid for your entire stay in the U.S.


Who is not eligible for Extension of Stay?

You may not apply to extend your stay if you have entered into the U.S. under the following visa categories:

You may not change your nonimmigrant status if you have entered into the U.S. under the following visa categories:

VWPP-Visa Waiver Pilot Program (or the Guam Visa Waiver Program)
D-As a crewman
C-As an alien in transit or in transit without a visa
K-As a fiance or spouse of a U.S. citizen or dependent of a fiance or spouse
S-As an informant (and accompanying family) on terrorism or organized crime

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
I-94 or Visa: How Long Can I Stay in the U.S.?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation