Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Employment Authorization Document - Frequently Asked Questions


Who is ineligible to apply for Employment Authorization Document?

The specific categories that do not require an Employment Authorization Document include:

  • U.S. citizens
  • Lawful permanent residents or conditional permanent residents. Your Alien Registration Card proves that you may work in the U.S.
  • Foreign government officials authorized to work for a specific employer. Your passport and Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Document proves that you may work in the U.S

How do I apply for Employment Authorization Document?

To apply for an EAD you may file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization electronically if you are eligible. If you are not eligible for electronic filing, you must file a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, by mail with the USCIS Regional Service Center that serves the area where you live.

H1B Visa 2016 Timeline Template

A Step-by-Step Advice For Successful H1B Filing

How do I appeal a denial of my Employment Authorization Document?

If your EAD application is denied, you will receive a letter that will tell you why the application was denied. You will not be allowed to appeal a negative decision to a higher authority. However, you may submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that made the unfavorable decision. By filing these motions, you may ask the office to reexamine or reconsider their decision.

  • A motion to reopen must state the new facts that are to be provided in the reopened proceeding and must be accompanied by affidavits or other documentary evidence
  • A motion to reconsider must establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or USCIS policy, and further establish that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made

Who may appeal a denial of Employment Authorization application?

Only the person that submitted the original application or petition may file the appeal. The petitioner alone has standing to appeal the denial of a visa petition. The person appealing the decision may be represented by an attorney or representative. If the petitioner is represented, the appeal must be accompanied by a properly executed Form G-28, Notice of Entry or Appearance as Attorney or Representative. The
Form G-28 must be signed by both the attorney or representative and the person who filed the original petition or application.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
How Do I Get a US Work Visa?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation