Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

E-1 Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


Can I bring my dependents on E-1 visa?

Yes, you may bring your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 years to stay along with you. They may stay in the U.S. as long as you maintain your E-1 status. You may bring a domestic or personal servant on nonimmigrant status, provided you can show that:

  • He or she is not abandoning his or her residence abroad
  • He or she has served you for at least one year, or has had an ongoing employment relationship with you and has at least one year of experience as a servant

Can my dependents work on E-1 visa?

Yes, your spouse may seek employment by applying for Employment Authorization using Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. However, your childresn are not allowed to work

Working In The U.S. - Your Options

Learn everything you need to know about working in the U.S.


Can my dependents study on E-1 visa?

Yes, your dependents may attend U.S. schools, colleges and universities on E visa, and do not have to apply for separate student visa such as an F-1 visa.


How do I apply for E-1 visa?

The following documents are required while applying for E-1 visa:

  • Completed and signed Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  • Completed and signed Form DS-156E, Treaty or Trader Investor Application
  • Documents which establish the identity of your company's nationality
  • A letter from your employer detailing your position and stating that you possess highly specialized skills essential for the efficient operation of the firm or that you are an executive or manager
  • Evidence of substantial trade for at least one year between the U.S. and your home country
  • Other documents relevant to your case, such as marriage and birth certificates of you and your family members
  • A passport valid for travel to the U.S. with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay
  • Color passport style photographs (37 x 37mm) for each member listed in the visa application. The picture should be taken before a light background with the head uncovered
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Setting Up a Company in US - Choosing L1 Visa or E Visa
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation