Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

D-2 Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply for D-2 visa?

You should file your D-2 visa application before you start your duties on the fishing vessel. While applying for landing privileges, you should:

  • Submit your application in person and offer all necessary documents
  • Be photographed and fingerprinted
  • Establish that you are admissible under all relevant immigration laws
  • Prove that you are entitled to landing privileges in the U.S.
  • Be prepared to show copies of employer work records to the immigration officer during inspection

How do I obtain a crew list visa?

For a crew list visa you must fill in Form I-418 which lists the names of all crew members who do not have individual visas or alien registration cards (Green Cards) in alphabetical order. Issuance or denial of the visa depends solely on the filled in Form I-418.

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


Where should I submit my D-2 visa application?

You should submit your D-2 visa application in the American Consular office where you reside.


Can I apply for a Green Card while on D-2 visa?

No, you may not apply for a Green Card while on D-2 visa.


What additional information do I need to know about D-2 visa?

  • The D-2 crew list visa can be obtained by filling out Form I-418 in duplicate. The original should be filled in only through column 3; leave columns 4 and 5 blank. The copy of Form I-418 should be filled in completely with columns 4 and 5 completed. Completed forms will be accepted even if the captain has not signed them
  • If the vessel plans to make two or more calls in the U.S., you should submit one additional copy of Form I-418 for each entry into the U.S. If additional crewmen are signed on after the original list is issued visas, a supplemental crew list should be prepared and submitted
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Immigration Lawyer Consultation: Get the Immigration Advice You Need
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation