Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Change of Status - Frequently Asked Questions


How can I appeal a USCIS decision regarding my Change of Status?

If your application to change your nonimmigrant status is denied, you will receive a letter that will tell you why the application was denied. You will not be allowed to appeal a negative decision to a higher authority. However, you may submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the same office that made the unfavorable decision. By filing these motions, you are asking the office to either reexamine or reconsider their decision.

A motion to:

  • Reopen must state the new facts that are to be provided in the reopened proceeding and must be accompanied by affidavits or other documentary evidence
  • Reconsider must establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) policy, and further establish that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


Who must comply with change of address rules while applying for Change of Status?

All foreign nationals in the U.S. who are required to be registered under the law must keep the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) informed of their changes of address. The only foreign nationals exempt from this requirement are:

  • Diplomats (A visa status)
  • Official government representatives to an international organization (G visa status)
  • Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for fewer than 30 days

Where can I find the law on Change of Status?

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) governs the admission of all people to the U.S. For the part of the law concerning changing nonimmigrant status, please see INA 248. The applicable regulations are found in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) at 8 CFR 248.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Immigration Lawyer Consultation: Get the Immigration Advice You Need
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation