Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

B-1 Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


Can I apply for extension of stay on B-1 US business visa?

You may be granted extensions of temporary stay in increments of not more than six months each, except for applicants of a religious denomination coming temporarily and solely to do missionary work on behalf of a religious denomination may be granted extensions of not more than one year each, provided that such work does not involve the selling of articles or the solicitation or acceptance of donation.


How do I apply for extension of stay on B-1 visa?

You have to fill in USCIS Form I-539, Extension of stay/change of status and submit it at the appropiate USCIS Service Center.

Note:The decision to grant or deny a request for extension of stay solely rests with the USCIS.

U.S. Business and Tourist Visa: The Essentials

Learn all about B1/B2 visa requirements and avoiding visa denial


How many weeks before the expiry of my I-94 should I apply for extension of stay?

If you wish to extend your stay on B-1 visa you should apply between 15 to 45 days of the date of expiry of the I-94. It is advisable to apply one month (30 days) before the I-94 expires.


Can I study on B-1 visa?

No, you may not study on B-1 visa. Enrollment in any course of study is prohibited. You violate the conditions of your US business visa if you enroll in a course of study.


If I wish to enroll in any course of study, while on B-1 visa, what should I do?

As a foreign national if you wish to enroll in a course of study, you must either obtain an F-1 or M-1 nonimmigrant visa from a consular officer abroad and seek readmission to the U.S., or apply for and obtain a change of status under section 248 of the INA Act and 8 CFR part 248. You cannot enroll in the course of study until the Service has admitted you as an F-1 or M-1 nonimmigrant or has approved the application under 8 CFR part 248 and changed your status to that of an F-1 or M-1 nonimmigrant.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
US Visa Interview: How to present yourself at US Consulate
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation