Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Green Card - EB-4 - Frequently Asked Questions


What are the requirements to file a self-petition to obtain lawful permanent residency?

  • The self-petitioning spouse:
  • Must be legally married to the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident batterer. A self-petition may be filed if the marriage was terminated by the abusive spouse’s death within the two years prior to filing. A self-petition may also be filed if the marriage to the abusive spouse was terminated, within the two years prior to filing, by divorce related to the abuse
  • Must have been battered in the U.S. unless the abusive spouse is an employee of the U.S. government or a member of the uniformed services of the U.S.
  • Must have been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty during the marriage, or must be the parent of a child who was battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse during the marriage
  • Is required to be a person of good moral character
  • Must have entered into the marriage in good faith, not solely for the purpose of obtaining immigration benefits
  • The self-petitioning child:
  • Must qualify as the child of the abuser as ‘child’ is defined in the Immigration and Nationality Act for immigration purposes
  • Any relevant credible evidence that can prove the relationship with the parent will be considered

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


How do I file a self-petition to obtain lawful permanent residency?

To self-petition, you must complete and file Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant, and include all supporting documentation. Self-petitions are filed with the Vermont Service Center and should be sent by certified return receipt mail, or any other method providing assurance of receipt

Note: Sending the Form I-360 to any other USCIS office will delay your application. You should keep a copy of everything you submit, including the application and all accompanying documents, in addition to the proof of mailing.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
US Green Card Lawyer Consultation: Get the Immigration Advise You Need
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation