Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Affidavit Of Support - Frequently Asked Questions


Are Affidavits of Support required for persons other than immigrants?

Currently, some aliens entering the U.S. temporarily, particularly students and parolees, may be required to have Affidavits of Support filed on their behalf. These situations are not affected by the new legally enforceable Affidavit of Support requirements. Sponsors of aliens who do not fall within the definition of Section 213A will continue to use the I-134 Affidavit of Support form. Refugees are not subject to the new Affidavit of Support requirement.


Can a religious group, non-governmental organization, venture capitalist or bail bondsman sponsor an immigrant as a joint sponsor?

No, only a natural person can be a sponsor. Religious and other groups usually sponsor refugees who are not required to have Affidavits of Support.

H1B Visa 2016 Timeline Template

A Step-by-Step Advice For Successful H1B Filing

What are the income requirements for an Affidavit of Support?

You must meet certain income requirements, whether you are a sponsor, a ‘joint sponsor’, or a ‘substitute sponsor’.

  • You must show that your household income is equal to or higher than 125 per cent of the U.S. poverty level for your household size
  • Your household size includes you, your dependents, any relatives living with you, and the immigrants you are sponsoring
  • Note: For example, if you have a spouse and two children and you want to sponsor your brother and his wife, you must prove that your household income is equal to or higher than 125 per cent of the U.S. poverty level for a family of six.
  • You must also include in your household size any immigrants you have previously sponsored under this part of the law
  • Note: In the above example, if you had previously sponsored your parents and your sister, your household size would be nine persons.
  • If you, the sponsor, are on active duty in the Armed Forces of the U.S., and the immigrant you are sponsoring is your spouse or child, your income only needs to equal 100 per cent of the U.S. poverty level for your family size
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Immigration Lawyer Consultation: Get the Immigration Advice You Need
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation