Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Advance Parole - Frequently Asked Questions


How can I appeal a denial of Advance Parole?

If your application for Advance Parole is denied, you will receive a letter that will tell you why the application was denied. You will not be allowed to appeal a negative decision to a higher authority. However, you may submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that made the unfavorable decision. By filing these motions, you may ask the office to reexamine or reconsider their decision.

  • A motion to reopen must state the new facts that are to be provided in the reopened proceeding and must be accompanied by affidavits or other documentary evidence.
  • A motion to reconsider must establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or USCIS policy, and further establish that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made

Can travel abroad still have severe consequences, even if I have obtained Advance Parole?

Yes, if you depart the U.S. after being unlawfully present in the U.S. for a certain period, you may be barred from admission, even if you have obtained Advance Parole.

  • If you were unlawfully present in the U.S. for more than 180 days but less than one year and depart voluntarily before the start of removal proceedings, you may be inadmissible for three years
  • If you were unlawfully present in the U.S. for one year or more, you may be inadmissible for ten years

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


What is the difference between Advance Parole and Re-entry Permit?

The differences between Advance Parole and Re-entry Permit are:

  • Advance Parole is issued to a foreign national who does not have permanent resident status. A Re-entry Permit is issued to a permanent resident of the U.S.
  • On the appearance, an Advance Parole document is a piece of paper with the foreign national's photograph whereas a Re-entry Permit looks like a passport
  • Advance Parole is like a visa to the U.S. while a Re-entry Permit is like a passport
  • Advance Parole is valid for one year whereas a Re-entry Permit is valid for two years
Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Immigration Lawyer Consultation: Get the Immigration Advice You Need
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation