Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Adjustment of Status - Frequently Asked Questions


Can I travel outside the U.S. after applying for Adjustment of Status?

Yes, you may travel outside the U.S. while your Adjustment of Status application is being processed, however, you must receive advance permission called
Advance Parole to return to the U.S. if you are traveling outside the U.S. If you do not apply for Advance Parole before you leave the country, you will abandon your application with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and you may not be permitted to return to the U.S.

Note: However, if you have accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence and then travel abroad, you will be barred from Adjustment of Status for either three years or 10 years, even if you were granted Advance Parole, unless you are granted a hardship waiver.


How can I check the status of my Adjustment of Status application?

You may check visa status by using VisaPro's free visa status service.

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


How can I appeal against a denial of my Adjustment of Status application?

If your application to adjust status to permanent residence is denied, you will receive a letter that will tell you why the application was denied. If you are not in a current, legal status, the process to remove you from the country will begin as soon as your application is denied. You will be allowed to have an immigration judge review the denial of your application during removal proceedings. During this review, Immigration must prove that the facts on your application were untruthful and that your application was properly denied. If the immigration judge decides to remove you from the country, you may appeal this decision. Generally, you may appeal within 33 days after the immigration judge decides to remove you from the country. After your appeal form and a required fee are processed, the appeal will be referred to the Board of Immigration Appeals in Washington, D.C.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation