Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

A-2 Visa - Frequently Asked Questions


I hold a diplomatic passport, but am traveling to the U.S. as a tourist. Do I require a diplomatic visa, or can I travel visa free?

If you are traveling as a tourist, you will require a B-2 visa, or if eligible, may travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. Only heads of state or government are accorded A-1 visas regardless of the purpose of their visit to the U.S. Otherwise, the visa classification is determined by the purpose of entry.


How do you determine whether a person qualifies for an A or G visa?

In general G visas are issued to individuals employed directly by an international organization, or representing a foreign government to international organizations. A visas are issued to representatives of a foreign government traveling to the United States to engage in official activities for that government.

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


Can the dependent of an A, G or NATO visa holder work in the U.S. on a derivative visa?

Dependents of A-1, A-2, G-1, G-3, G-4 and NATO visa holders may be eligible to work in the U.S. on derivative A, G or NATO visas.

An application for employment must be made on the USCIS Form I-566 to the Department of State through the office, mission, or organization which employees the principal applicant. If the Department's recommendation is favorable, the Form I-566 will be forwarded to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for action. If the application is approved, the USCIS will transmit the employment authorization to the mission, or international organization. In the case of NATO dependents, USCIS employment authorization will be transmitted to NATOSACLANT. For further information you should either contact your mission, international organization or in the case of NATO visa holders, NATOSACLANT.

Still have questions?

Call Support

Talk to a VisaPro Attorney at 1-202-787-1944

Visit the Forums

Learn from our knowledgeable community

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Immigration Lawyer Consultation: Get the Immigration Advice You Need
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

We handled thousands of immigration matters successfully. Schedule A Consultation